This simple smoothie makes for the perfect breaky on the go. Rich in good fats and nutrients it will jump-start your metabolism and give you the fuel to begin your morning. If I know I won't have access to healthy options later in the day, I still feel good knowing I've had a solid intake of vitamins/minerals in this smoothie. This is my most basic smoothie recipe and from it I add in different superfoods depending on what I feel my body and mind need each day.
Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix on high speed until smooth.
- Almond or Coconut Milk *I like to read the ingredients to make sure it is organic with the least amount of added sugar*
Spinach or Baby Kale (high in iron and many essential vitamins, high in fibre) and/or Wheatgrass (high in Chlorophyll, great for skin)
- Spirulina blue green algae, 1 tbl spoon (detoxes heavy metals, rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, E, K, and high in protein, rich in anti-oxidants)
- Banana (high in fibre and antioxidants) *OR avocado for creaminess
- Berries (blueberries/blackberries/raspberries, rich in antioxidants)
- SunWarrior plant based protein Vanilla flavour
- Coconut Oil (high in fatty acids proven to increase metabolism/anti-inflammatory) or Almond Butter which is a good protein source
- Hemp seeds, 1 tbl spoon (omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which promote cardiovascular health)
- Avocado (heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, great for skin)
*Add a teaspoon or tablespoon of Cacao powder for a more chocolatey taste! (rich in anti-oxidants)
*Opt for organic, locally grown fruit and vegetables as it is more fresh, will help your body to detox rather than eating produce with pesticides, is better for the environment, and supports your local hood.